If you think you’re the only one who’s pinching pennies, think again. Some of Hollywood’s richest stars still clip coupons, let their kids wear hand-me-downs and actually save. Not everybody’s got an entourage and some don’t feel the need to blow their cash just because they’ve got it. Who would have thought you could learn money saving lessons from these Hollywood stars?
Here’s the list of the most frugal celebrities in the biz:
1. Sarah Jessica Parker. She may be quite the fashionista in Sex and the City but she makes her son wear only hand-me-downs from his cousins. She said in an interview, “I think it’s incumbent on my husband and me to show James that he is not entitled to the benefits of our hard work.” Wow! Point taken – thanks, Mom! You’re the best!
2. Lady Gaga. She uses coupons while shopping and wonders why people look at her like she’s crazy when she does. Yeah…I have no idea, Ms. Gaga. Why would anyone look at you like you’re crazy?
3. Tobey Maguire. Growing up poor made this Spider Man star very conscious about how he handles his money. He said, “I just never wanted to put myself in the position where my spending was so huge that I had to keep making movie after movie.” Pretty smart dude.
4. Vincent Kartheiser. This “Mad Men” star passes on excess even though he’s got a solid paycheck these days. In fact, he lives in a one-bedroom apartment and takes public trans to get around.
5. Jay Leno. This comedian certainly knows how to save. According to Leno, he has not spent a dime of his salary at “The Tonight Show,” living only on the money he makes as a comedian. Ok, perhaps “frugal” sounds odd to use when describing Jay, knowing what we do of his posh lifestyle, but maybe we could include the word genius?
6. Halle Berry. As one of the most widely-photographed women in Hollywood, it’s amazing to think that glamorous Halle Berry is a huge saver. She said that the impetus behind her constant saving is her planning about “when this trip is going to stop.” Hey Halle: it’s probably not going to.
7. Sarah Michelle Gellar. She doesn’t believe in paying more for an item than absolutely necessary. Sure, she and hubby Freddie Prinze, Jr. shop at Whole Foods. People gotta eat, right? Still – they do their own heavy lifting grocery wise and a lot of their buddies around town sure don’t.
8. Dave Grohl. This Foo Fighters leader is afraid to spend the money he has. The reason? “Knowing I don’t even have a high school diploma to fall back on, I’m going to be really careful with what I’ve got.” Well said, Dave. Still, chances are he’ll be fine. He’s worth $260 million.
9. Tyra Banks. Supermodel, TV producer and host, Banks has an estimated value of $90 million. This is true because she doesn’t blow it all the way most celebs do. She’s careful with what she’s got. Within reason, right? I mean, let’s get real here.
10. Leonardo DiCaprio. Ok, maybe he bought an island for $2.5 million in 2005. David Beckham has cars worth that. Still, Leo maintains he’s not a big spender. “I don’t fly private jets. I still have only one car, and that’s a Toyota Prius. I don’t spend money on a lot of things.” Net worth: $200 million
11. Mariska Hargitay. She may be one of the highest-paid celebrities on television but Mariska Hargitay prioritizes savings and investments. She is an avid investor and diversified business woman. “As an actor, if this show ends next year, then what? As an aging woman, then what? I’m saving money to live on, for the future.” She’s worth $30 million. I think she’ll be fine.
12. Zooey Deschanel. Aside from saving, America’s sweetheart also invests in stocks, bonds and real estate. It’s why, even after a divorce, she’s got tons of cash.
13. Kristen Bell: coupon clipper, multi-millionaire. She told Conan O’Brien, “I use a lot of coupons. The best coupon you can get, possibly in the world, is from Bed Bath & Beyond.”
14. Jennifer Lawrence. This Hunger Games star is also another coupon user. She also does her own shopping. And she’s worth $75 mil.
15. Teri Hatcher. Reigning queen of Wisteria Lane, Teri Hatcher drives her cars for a decade before getting the next one, even with a net worth of $50 million.
16. Paul McCartney. Aside from making guests pay for their drinks at his ex-wife’s birthday, this Beatles star also sent his kids to local state schools and not to exclusive private ones. He’s worth over $400 million. “Thanks, dad! You’re the best!”
17. The Oracle of Omaha: Warren Buffett. Worth over $50 billion, he lives in the house he bought in 1958 for a house that even now is worth no more than $700k. He likes McDonalds cheeseburgers and cherry Cokes. He doesn’t care for all the stuff, just likes getting up and going to work every day.
18. Reese Witherspoon. The “Legally Blond” star goes to thrift shops, believe it or not, and is comfortable with J. Crew and a $40 tote bag. Net worth: $80 million.
19. Beth Behrs. When she bought her first designer shoes, she had to think long and hard about it. “I could wear them every winter from now until I’m 84 and they’ll still be in style.” Still just 28 years old, I don’t believe she’ll have to worry about that.
These are a few of the celebrities who definitely know what to do with their money. Ready to start clipping those coupons?