The Afro hairstyle first gained popularity in the late 1960s. Both back then and all these years later, some folks haven’t been afraid to bring it strong do-wise…
Here are 31 of the best celebrity afros ever that we’ve ever seen!!
1. Billy Preston
He was the only person ever to play with both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. And he was known for this killer look right here:
2. Michael Jackson
He did all kinds of crazy stuff with his hair, among other things. None better look for Michael than this one –
3. Pam Grier – 70’s blaxsploitation film star. Here’s Foxy Brown herself:
4. Lauryn Hill : icon, musician, activist. She looks good no matter how she does the do, including the big ‘fro:
5. Diana Ross
Young folks may not know this, but she’s sold over 100 million records, won everything, and is one of the coolest women of all time. Don’t believe me? Check out this pic from the Frontier Hotel, 1969:
Here she is rockin’ the afro a decade later:
6. Erykah Badu – bringin’ it strong
7. Esperanza Spalding
There’s just nobody in the world cooler than this chick right here. Check this out: she’s from Portland, taught herself violin at 5 and soon after a dozen other instruments. She’s a world-class jazz bassist and can sing in three languages. Plus she’s a knockout.
8. Chaka Khan – not known exclusively for her afro, of course, but here it is in all it’s glory
9. Reggie Watts – American comedian and musician, wearer of a really crazy ‘fro
10. Tyra Banks
Not a common ‘fro chick, but hey, here she is with one.
11. Ludacris: Rapper, Actor, Pretty Cool Cat
Awesome musician from Brooklyn. Don’t go for the ‘fro these days but he’s still got time. He’s only 40.
13. Beyonce – not really an afro, if we’re gonna get all technical here. Still, she’s lovely so why not throw a pic up in there
14. Richard Pryor – maybe the greatest afro-wearer of all time.
15. Lenny Kravitz – i like to think he doesn’t try to be this cool, but one can never tell. Even if he is trying, it just ain’t hard for him. Next year he’ll be 50, which will make him the coolest 50 year old since, I don’t know, Frank Sinatra.
16. Solange Knowles –
Less famous than her sister, more famous than just about anybody else from Houston, Texas.
17. Oprah – no way that’s real.
18. Nicki Minaj – that girl cray.
19. Coco Crisp – wowzers.
20. Rihanna – look, she’s got a red one
21. Don King – kind of his calling card for all those years. How did everybody buy in to this guy for so long?
22. Christina Aguilera – she looks like David Bowie a little to me.
23. Joakim Noah – he’s got some crazy hair. looks like more of a topknot in this one.
24.Macy Gray – how awesome is she??
25. The RZA – now we’re talkin’
26. Sly Stone: one of the originals…
27. Whoopi Goldberg: that looks like a wig to me. Can’t ever tell with Whoopi.
28. Jimi Hendrix: all time great, including the ‘fro
30. Jill Scott
31. Andrew Stockdale – the white-guy afro is always a nice bonus. Hard to pull off, honestly.
Hats off to all these guys – great hair. Probably not in the cards for me, but hey, you play the hand you’re dealt.